King Harman Memorial Clock Tower
King Harman Memorial Clock Tower in the centre of the village of Kenagh was constructed in 1878 to commemorate Laurence Harman King-Harman, the local landlord, who died three years previously.
This striking limestone structure was designed by Sir Robert William Edis, a distinguished London-based architect who later worked at Sandringham House, one of the British royal residences.
The clock was manufactured by John Moore and Sons of Clerkenwell, London. The head of Laurence Harman King-Harman is in relief on the lower part of the tower, and beneath it is an inscription in which he is described as ‘a good landlord and an upright man’.
Laurence Harman King-Harman (1816-75) lived at Newscastle House near Ballymahon. He owned the largest estate in Co. Longford, which consisted of almost 29, 000 acres at the time of his death.
The family also had an estate in Co. Roscommon, with a residence at Rockingham, near Boyle. Laurence was brother of Robert, 6th Earl of Kingston. King-Harman was a resident landlord and a careful estate manager with an interest in improvements. He was succeeded by his son Col. Edward Robert King-Harman.
The tower is highly-visible from the pavement.
We are here ↓