Skip to main content Skip to main menu

Edgeworthstown House

Edgeworthstown House is now known as Our Lady’s Manor Nursing Home, on the eastern side of Edgworthstown, is a private nursing home. It was formerly Edgeworthstown House, home of the Edgeworth family, many of whom had extraordinary lives.


Edgeworthstown House was built by Richard Edgeworth (1701-70) in the mid-1720s. He was descended from Francis Edgeworth, who was granted land in the area in 1619 during the Plantation of Longford. The town that now bears the family’s name was originally called Mostrim (Meathas Troim).

Richard was succeeded by his son Richard Lovell Edgeworth (1744-1817), a renowned engineer, surveyor and educationalist. He spent most of his early life in England but later settled in Edgeworthstown, where he renovated the house.

Richard Lovell’s daughter, Maria (1767-1849) is now the most famous member of the family. She was a novelist and inherited her father’s wide interests. In due course, the house passed to another distinguished family member, Maria’s nephew Francis Ysidro Edgeworth (1845-1926). He was a statistician and economist, who had a professorship at Oxford University.

Francis died unmarried and Edgeworthstown House passed to a relative, Mrs C.F. Montague. In 1935, it was purchased by Bernard Noonan, a native of the area who lived in the U.S.A. Later, Mr Noonan donated the house and some land to the Sisters of Mercy.

They carried out major renovations and established a nursing home, which they continued to run until 2009.

Please note that this is a private nursing home.



This project was assisted by Longford Local Community Development Committee, Longford Community Resources Clg. and Longford County Council through the Rural Development Programme (LEADER) 2014-2020 which is part-financed by the EU, "The European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in rural areas" and the Department of Rural & Community Development.       The European Commission.

Back to Top